A Dancer in Wartime by Dame Gillian Lynne- Book review


Hello everybody and welcome back to another book review,

Being a dancer myself, I knew I would love this book anyway. But I didn't realise just how much I would enjoy this book. Gillian Pyrke,  1st February 1926- 1st July 2018, was a ballerina from Bromely, Kent, UK. She spent some time in her early childhood attending dance lessons with Madeleine Sharp and practising ballet every evening with her mother. Many people believe that the most horrific event that occured in her life was the War but, I believe that after her mothers death Gillian had to endure that whilst a war was breaking out, which to me seemed pretty horrific.  I thought that she would have years contemplating her mother's death but no, instead, after some grieving, she got up and succeeded her and her mother's wishes in becoming a ballerina. This drew me to the story of her life and her biography. You would think that during the time of the Blitz, Gillian and many other dancers, would not get a chance to rehearse in studios. However, contrary to popular belief, Gillian and her friend still did get to rehearse in studios, and although they had to move back and fourth, Gillian still made the time to rehearse and continued to do what she loved doing.  Later she danced in many other famous studios and like the Sadlers Wells Theatre and even danced in the famous London Royal Opera House as well as the Opern Haus in Germany just weeks after the end of the war. This was awe inspiring and the story in general is one I will carry for the rest of my dance career. 


Have you read this book or would you like to read it? Let me know in the comments below and I will be sure to reply to them.

See you next time,

Bye

XOX, Juliette

Social media handles:

Other blog:



Comments

Followers

Popular posts from this blog

Proving people wrong - Becoming Michelle Obama

We mustn't work hard to make others happy - Becoming Michelle Obama

First impressions of Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell