Book review: Becoming Michelle Obama

Hello everybody and welcome back to another blog post, 

I'm sure I've said it many times before. If I ever see a book about a politician or someone linked to a politician, I doubt that it would be my first pick. However, my mum encouraged me to give Becoming Michelle Obama a read because she found it quite interesting and thought that I would too. Yes, I'm an incredibly slow reader because I like to take in every word I read so sorry for the delay in this review. I now know why people say don't judge a book by its cover, because I guess I did that a lot here. Regardless of whether you like the Obamas or not, it doesn't take a brain scientist to realise that Michelle is an incredibly smart, determined, and resourceful woman, who's never given up on herself. This book was not just about her time a as First Lady, in fact, that comes at the end. It was about her life from the very beginning and despite what the media has said about her, she did not come from a privileged background. She grew up in the Southside of Chicago, in a working-class family, and in an apartment that her parents shared with some friends. Despite all the prejudice she faced, she was very academic and lived a content life and even made it to Princeton. During her time as First Lady, she never forgot about where she came from and made it her sole purpose, to help disadvantaged families through her initiatives. I really admired her prove-people-wrong attitude as she faced continual backlash by the media. I never realised just how judgemental people can be when you're in the spotlight. I now know that it takes a strong mind to be involved in politics because people won't always agree with what you do. However, I think the biggest thing I've taken away from Michelle's book, is to do something that makes a difference. Michelle was working in the Sidley Austin law firm and despite working for years up until that point, she was very unhappy with her job as it didn't have much meaning to it. She then took a leap of faith and began working in many non-profit organizations, which she really enjoyed doing. I think that's what I found most inspiring about her story because she empathised with people who grew up like her and she always wanted to use her fortunate position to change the way things were done. I think that's something that we should all try to achieve in our lives!


Have you ever read Becoming Michelle Obama? Let me know in the comments below and I'll be sure to reply to them. I ♡ hearing from you! 

Tap one of the reaction boxes below to let me know what you thought of this post. It would really help me to make some improvements in the future! 

Be sure to follow and subscribe so that you don't miss anymore of my brilliant posts and share this article with a friend who might enjoy it too! 

See you next time, 

Bye,

XOX, Juliette

My social media handles:
My Instagram 
My YouTube channel 

My main blog:
Keeping Up With Juliette 

Comments

Followers

Popular posts from this blog

Proving people wrong - Becoming Michelle Obama

We mustn't work hard to make others happy - Becoming Michelle Obama

First impressions of Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell