New book collection!

 Hello everybody and welcome back to another blog post,

Recently, I got a bunch of new books to add to my collection. Some were given to me by family and others were gifted to me on my birthday. Although I'm quite a slow reader and that I probably won't read these books straight away, I thought it would be fun to introduce them to you since they all sound like really great books to read. Enjoy!πŸ’œ

  • The first book that I will introduce to you is Taking on the World by Ellen MacArthur. My mum had ordered this book a while before my birthday but it got delivered late so I've only recently obtained it but I do recognise the book because I have the French version (Du Vent dans les RΓͺves). I tried reading the French version but since I'm not the best at understanding French writing, I found it a little difficult to read and so I stopped. However, her story sounds absolutely fascinating and I can't wait to read it. This is Ellen's autobiography about her perilous, single-handed yacht journey in the VendΓ©e Globe, the world's toughest race, that she competed in at the tender age of 24. It includes the tales Ellen saving up money to buy her first boat as a teenager and sailing around Britain, to her eventually competing in the VendΓ©e Globe. I'm sure this will be a book that I won't put down!


  • The next book that I got for my birthday was My Life with the Chimpanzees by Jane Goodall, which I got gifted from by my dad. I had never heard of Jane Goodall before but after reading the blurb, I knew that she gained worldwide recognition for her discoveries that she had made about chimpanzees. The book's about her adventures with a group of chimpanzees that she got to know really well in Africa and after spending a lot of time with them, she noticed surprising similarities to our own work, play, and family relationships and we can discover these as we read her book. As an animal lover myself, I can't wait to read this book about animals! I like how she didn't go all out with the portrayal and decoration of her book as it really evokes a statement that she cares about the environment in every aspect of her life as well.


  • The next animal book that I was gifted by my dad for my birthday was Love, Life, and Elephants by Dame Daphne Sheldrick. Falling head over heels for the owner of the famous Tsavo National Park, David Sheldrick, Daphne tells the harrowing tale of their fight for orphaned elephants and misfortuned animals, as well as their fight against the poaching of many species. In 2006, Daphne was made Dame Commander of the British Empire by the Queen, after working for 25 years with her husband to save endangered and threatened animals and now she is known as one of Africa's greatest conservationists. As someone who also hates seeing the suffering of beautiful wild animals, I am particularly excited to read this inspirational memoir of a woman who's fought for hope in Africa.


  • Moving away from animal books, I was also given one of Jordan B. Peterson's books by my dad, who believed that this book would help me improve my life in the future. It is called 12 Rules for Life, an Antidote to Chaos and it is an self-help book that builds upon the theories and ideas of psychology, mythology, religion, and Jordan's personal experiences to provide relatable advice for your own life. Now Jordan is a clinical psychologist and a professor in psychology so he likes to view life in different ways and ask politically unpopular questions to make people's outlook on their personal lives more positive and that's what I think I'll like about his book. He is known as one of the greatest Canadian thinkers of all time so I'm sure I'll learn a lot from the theories he provides in his book.

  • Lastly, by my grandmother, I was given the book The Long Walk by Slavomir Rawicz. I believe my grandmother did a GCSE English essay on this book and she really enjoyed reading it so she gave it to me. It is a true story about a Polish Army lieutenant (Slavomir Rawicz) who, after the German-Soviet invasion of Poland, found himself imprisoned by the NKVD (The People's Commissariat for Internal Affairs). After escaping with a group of prisoners from a Siberian Gulag camp, him and the others begin the long journey south on foot and this is how the story continues. The Book became extremely popular and not only did it have more than half a million copies sold, it also inspire the new Motion Picture, The Way Back, directed by Peter Weir. I'm interested in reading this book because war stories and true stories about communism etc, have always fascinated me on a historical level. I'm sure I'll find this adventure story thrilling and inspiring.

Have you read any of these books? Have you got new books to add to your collection too? Let me know in the comments below and I'll be sure to reply to them. I ♡ hearing from you! 

Tap one of the reaction boxes below to let me know what you thought of this post. It would really help me to make some improvements in the future! 

Be sure to follow and subscribe so that you don't miss anymore of my brilliant posts and share this article with a friend who might enjoy it too!

See you next time,

Bye,

XOX, Juliette

My social media handles:

My main blog:

Previous post:

Comments

Followers

Popular posts from this blog

Proving people wrong - Becoming Michelle Obama

We mustn't work hard to make others happy - Becoming Michelle Obama

First impressions of Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell