Of Mice and Men end scene film vs the book- Ranting Tuesdays

Hello everybody and welcome back to another blog post, 

At the age of 12 years old, I read an amazing book called Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck. In year 8, we did go over the book in English but I had already read it before. It took me a while to understand some things and I often found that I had to re-read some sections just to understand the old American slang but nevertheless, when I did got to grips with the language, I found the plot quite interesting. There are so many amazing chapters I could highlight from this book but there is just one that tops them all in my opinion. The final chapter has not only just got me awestruck, but I'm sure many of you readers out there too. It's the chapter when George has to shoot his companion Lennie, a tall muscular worker with learning difficulties, for his own good. I like this section in the book because it's prolonged and prior to Lennie's death, him and George talk about the future. 'Getting the alfalfa for the rabbits' and 'living off the fat of the land.' George talks about their future together to ensure that Lennie, his best friend, dies peacefully. He then picks up the gun and shoots him on the back of the head. Then all the other workers on the yard turn up and tell George that it was the best thing for him. That is a section that I thought was lost in the film. After reading the book in year 8, we watched the film and when it came to the end scene, we all thought that it was done a bit too quickly. George does talk to Lennie about the future but only briefly. This is an important thing that we all thought was not included in the film and therefore did not give the desired effect as the book. The rest of the film prior to that was really well done but the end brought the whole film to an anti-climax.
Movieclips


What did you think about the end scene of Of Mice and Men in comparison to the book? Let me know in the comments below and I'll be sure to reply to them. I ♡ hearing from you!

See you next time,

Bye,

XOX, Juliette

Follow Movieclips here:

My social media handles:

My main blog:

Comments

Followers

Popular posts from this blog

Proving people wrong - Becoming Michelle Obama

We mustn't work hard to make others happy - Becoming Michelle Obama

First impressions of Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell