Inward terror, Sarah Helm, If This Is A Woman

Hello everybody and welcome back to another blog post,

If you follow my main blog, Keeping Up With Juliette, you will know that I've been wanting to talk about this topic of inward terror in a concentration camp for a while now. I know that I keep going on about this book and I promise that I'll be talking about some more of James Herriot's second book later on next week but I think it's really good to touch base on this topic. This book is so incredible because I keep on finding new things to talk about as I go through it which is a rarity for a lot of books that I read. If you've never done GCSE history before in the past, then you may not know about the prospect of inward terror within a concentration camp. The Nazis used this form of terror to ignite anger amongst the prisoners themselves so that they were the ones being violent and the Nazis were the ones who didn't have to do anything.

If you haven't seen my previous post, then you won't know about the role of Blockova so I suggest that you have a read Of that before this. The Nazis deliberately made some inmates Blockovas of blocks that weren't very popular to fuel anger and hatred amongst everyone. The asocials group were particularly unpopular and a woman named Elsa, who was from a different block, was put in charge of them and they were particularly rude and mean to her. They shouted at her for soup and they demanded her to hurry up and she wasn't the first to go through this. Many other women from different blocks were put in charge of the asocials and they too thought that they were difficult to control.Another form of inward terror was when the Nazis gave so little food to the prisoners. 

The sound of someone chewing on food made everyone even more hungry so each prisoner ate quickly. Those who were slower were often scrutinized by fellow inmates because the sound of them chewing made everyone who were already starving, even more hungry. 

Hatred amongst prisoners was also found when a new communist woman from Moscow arrived at RavensbrΓΌck. She had experienced one of Stalin's gulags, concentration camps, and this sparked hatred amongst the "true" Stalin supporters who deemed she was not faithful to her supreme leader and not a true member of her regime. 

As you can see, there is clear evidence of inward terror used to spark deliberate animosity between women in the camp. To say it was all the Nazis doing of causing violence in concentration camps, is only half true. Whilst they caused the quarreling in the first place, the stark differences between people in the camps were just too strong and this made any act of violence and anger difficult to retain and prevent. The Nazis knew this, and their cleverness in how to keep the negative morale going proved all the more inevitable when the prisoners fought amongst themselves.

What do you think? Was inward terror real? Let me know in the comments below and I'll be sure to reply to them. I ♡ hearing from you!

See you next time,

Bye,

XOX, Juliette

My social media handles:
My Instagram
My YouTube channel

My main blog:
Keeping Up With Juliette

Comments

Followers

Popular posts from this blog

Proving people wrong - Becoming Michelle Obama

We mustn't work hard to make others happy - Becoming Michelle Obama

First impressions of Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell